I don’t believe in New Year’s Resolutions.
And I don’t believe in regret.
I’m not sure we ever really change that much.
And I still wonder what truly motivates people.
It may sound strange seeing as my whole life is dedicated to supporting and coaching people through change. Whether working with individuals or groups, we are constantly talking about change; the affects, the process, the story.
But maybe this will make sense:
I believe in desire, intention and practice.
And yes, creating goals and plans that align with desire and values.
And I believe in reflection (as long as you don’t get stuck there!)
I’ve been reflecting on 2016 – it’s been an amazing year – good and bad – and I’ve learnt a ton of stuff – both professionally and personally.
So, now for 2016. Here are my desires for 2017:
- Feel rested and healthy
- Have tons of energy and drive
- Develop quiet reflective time
- Celebrate the people and things I love
- Focus on pleasure & contribution
Here are some of my intentions for 2017 –
- sleep more
- exercise and eat well
- be present with my kids (put my phone and work aside when I’m with them)
- donate more (time & money)
- increase pleasure in my life
- listen to music & dance regularly
So simple. (I’m printing this short powerful list and putting it up on the wall in my work space. ) And in terms of practice, what this mean is:
- I will do the work (the Work of Byron Katie) regularly
- I will exercise every day
- I will be conscious of what I put in my body and mind
- I will make time for music, dance & love (every day)
- I will sit still with my children, stop ‘doing’ constantly when I’m around them, play more games, laugh more, cook and eat with them, tell them stories and listen the theirs.
Okay, that’s a good start. What about you? What are your intentions for 2017?
Share them here.